UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS
The University of Leeds is a big trip generator, home to over 30,000 students and employing some 8,000 staff.
Here’s some of the things that contribute to 9% of those staff travelling by bike:
- The university campus benefits from plentiful bike parking that is lit and under surveillance from CCTV. There is also a work stand and maintenance equipment that is free of charge to use.
- Students and staff can access low cost bike hire, and is looking at extending this fleet to include e-bikes for travel between the city centre campus and Headinlgey campus.
- The sustainability department has a dedicated webpage that details things the university can do for you if you want to travel by bike.
- They have a year round cycle to work scheme. Many organisations offer a cycle to work scheme, but most don’t offer it as a year round benefit.
- Finally, there is a dedicated budget for cycling, which means they can continue progressing towards their target of 12% modal share for travel by bike.